K-1 Visa Lawyer Helps You Bring Your Fiancé To America

Request A Consultation

In a borderless world of love, the Fiancé Visa is the key to a story that overcomes distance. A K-1 Visa attorney can guide you through being united with your future spouse in the United States. While the process may be complex and daunting, these lawyers will not leave you groping in the dark.

Here, you can explore how a lawyer can help you navigate the Fiancé Visa. It delves into the comprehensive explanations covering its eligibility requirements. Moreover, it highlights the step-by-step process of bringing your spouse to the United States.

With A K-1 Visa You Can Legally Apply To Reunite With Your Fiancé In The U.S.

A K-1 Visa Lawyer Helps You Get A Fiancé Visa

A K-1 Visa allows a foreign national to enter the United States to marry their U.S. citizen fiancé. This Visa provides a 90-day stay allowance for individuals residing outside the country.

A fiancé visa attorney handles the complex immigration procedure. They ensure all legal requirements are met and provide individualized advice based on each case’s details.

Attorneys provide legal guidance, foresee and resolve possible problems, and simplify the application process. Additionally, they assist in preparing for interviews, minimizing risks, and facilitating the transition to a Green Card.

While the application for this Visa is intricate, you can navigate it confidently when you know the nuances and details. This is where a skilled Visa lawyer can help, and one of the things they can explain to you is to verify your eligibility.

Eligibility Requirements

To secure a Fiancé Visa, both individuals must meet the eligibility criteria outlined in immigration laws. Completing the following requirements is essential to qualify for the legal document. They are as follows:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen.
  • Intent to marry within 90 days. You intend to marry the foreign national within 90 days of their entry into the United States.
  • Physical meetings within the last two years. You and the foreign national must have met each other in person. It should be at least once within the two years preceding the Visa petition filing. This ensures the relationship is genuine and not solely based on virtual or long-distance communication.
  • Legally able to marry in the United States. This means that both parties meet the legal requirements for marriage. It involves being of the necessary age and having no legal obstacles that could hinder a valid marriage.

These criteria will act as the foundation for a successful Visa application, emphasizing the commitment and authenticity of the relationship. While knowing these qualifications is essential, understanding the process is equally vital.

Bring Your Future Spouse To The United States


Bringing your spouse to the United States involves careful planning, documentation, and adherence to immigration regulations. The process typically consists of multiple crucial steps to guarantee a seamless transition for your spouse. It must be completed on schedule and with meticulous attention to detail.

File The Petition


To sponsor your foreign fiancé for a U.S. Visa, complete Form I-129F or Petition for Alien Fiancé. It establishes the legitimacy of your relationship. Upon submission, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reviews the form and accompanying documents.

Then, the USCIS will acknowledge the claimed fiancé relationship upon the approval of the form. Subsequently, the approved document is transmitted to the Department of State (DOS) National Visa Center (NVC). In case of denial, USCIS informs you of the reasons for the decision.

Apply For The Visa


Once USCIS approves Form I-129F, they will send it to the U.S. Embassy or consulate where your fiancé resides. The embassy notifies you of the scheduled Visa interview. Your partner then submits the necessary forms and documents during the interview, where a consular officer assesses eligibility.

If approved, the K-1 Visa is valid for a single entry within six months. If the officer doubts the authenticity of the relationship, the DOS denies the Visa. Then, they will send the Form I-129F back to USCIS.

Pass CBP Inspection


If the DOS issues a K-1 Visa, your fiancé can travel to the United States. Then, they can enter at a port of entry while the Visa is valid. However, having a Visa does not guarantee entry. A Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer will decide whether to admit your fiancé into the United States or not.

Marry Your Fiancé


Upon admission, you and your future spouse must marry within 90 days. This timeframe is crucial for transitioning to permanent status through marriage. Failure to marry within this period may result in the fiancé leaving the United States.

Apply For Adjustment Of Status


If you marry within 90 days, your spouse can apply for a Green Card using Form I-485. It is an application to register permanent residence or adjust status. The USCIS reviews the form and supporting documents, possibly requesting more information. Thus, you and your spouse may need to attend an interview.

Bringing your future spouse to the United States requires a careful process, from filing to applying for adjustment of status. Each step is a vital part of the journey toward permanent residency. It ensures a seamless pathway for you and your loved one to pursue a shared future in the United States.

A Pathway To Permanent Residency


Individuals with Immigrant Visas in the United States can file an Adjustment of Status to obtain a Green Card. This means they are transitioning to lawful permanent residency. The AOS process allows getting a Green Card without returning to one’s home country for Visa processing.

After getting married, your legal spouse can stay in the United States and apply for a Green Card by filing Form I-485. You will be issued a conditional Green Card that is valid for two years.

To remove these conditions, your spouse must initiate the process by filing Form I-751 or Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. It is crucial to complete this step within 90 days before the expiration of their conditional Green Card.

Once your spouse obtains permanent residence status, they can fully experience its benefits. In addition to residing with you in the United States, they are entitled to various advantages as a lawful permanent resident, from employment to other privileges.

Benefits Of A Green Card

Get The Legal Help You Need To Start Your K-1 Visa Case And Bring Your Fiancé

Getting a Green Card brings numerous advantages beyond just its legal status. It allows foreign nationals to live and work permanently in the United States. 

With this, you can enjoy certain rights and privileges like natural citizens.

Employment Opportunities Without Sponsorship


Green Card holders can pursue various employment opportunities in the United States. This is without the need for employer sponsorship. It allows them to explore different careers, switch employers, or establish businesses.

Career Flexibility


Lawful permanent residence grants individuals greater flexibility and career independence. Unlike nonimmigrant Visa holders tied to specific employers, Green Card holders have the autonomy to make career decisions. It is based on their preferences, skills, and ambitions, fostering a sense of stability in their professional lives.

Civic Participation


Permanent residents enjoy civic participation rights in the United States, contributing to the democratic process. They can express their opinions through advocacy and actively participate in community activities. This integration fosters a sense of belonging and strengthens the diverse fabric of American society.

Educational Opportunities


Green Card holders can access diverse educational opportunities in the United States. They can enroll in academic institutions and programs, including colleges, universities, and vocational schools. This facilitates personal and professional development and contributes to the cultural and intellectual diversity of the academic community.

Family Reunification Through Sponsorship


Lawful Permanent Residents are privileged to sponsor close family members for permanent residency, promoting family reunification. Your spouse can now petition for their family members so they can have the opportunity to live and work in the United States.

Of course, Green Card applications are not easy, but you can benefit significantly from hiring an experienced immigration lawyer. They ensure on-time submission of paperwork, increasing the chances of a successful application given the evolving immigration laws and requirements.

The Lozano Law Firm can help you understand the intricacies of immigration law. They will ensure a smoother and more successful journey toward obtaining a Green Card through a K-1 Visa. The firm can be instrumental in avoiding pitfalls and streamlining the application process. They ultimately enhance the likelihood of a positive outcome for individuals seeking permanent residency.



A K-1 Visa allows a foreign national to marry a U.S. citizen in the United States. It reunites engaged couples separated by borders. With this, legal guidance is essential to ensure all requirements are met. Additionally, being legally free for marriage and having recent in-person contacts are also included in the eligibility.

The Fiancé Visa process involves filing a petition, Visa application, security checks, and a consular interview. After marriage, couples can proceed to Green Card application for permanent residency. If granted, your spouse can enjoy employment opportunities and civic participation benefits. 

About Alfredo Lozano

alfredo lozano of lozano law firm inAlfredo Lozano is the founder and principal attorney at Lozano Law Firm, an immigration law firm serving the communities of San Antonio, Eagle Pass, Laredo and San Angelo in business and family-based immigration law. Mr. Lozano is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the San Antonio Bar Association, and the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Scroll to Top