Close Menu
Old style home.
San Antonio | San Angelo | Eagle Pass

Obtain a visa as a Treaty Trader or Treaty Investor

If you desire to enter the United States to engage in international trade on your own behalf or in some circumstances for your employer, or to invest a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business, you may be eligible for an E-1 or E-2 non-immigrant visa. These visas are open to nationals from countries which have a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S. The Lozano Law Firm can help you enter the country on lawful immigration status and later apply for an adjustment of status to lawful permanent residence if you so desire.

E-1 and E-2 visas for treaty traders and treaty investors are available to eligible individuals as well as the employees of a treaty trader or investor or a qualifying organization. Once lawfully in the country, it is possible for a person on an E-1 or E-2 visa to apply for a change of status with an I-129 Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker.

Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors Defined

A treaty trader (E-1 visa holder) is one who enters the U.S. for the purpose of carrying on a substantial trade in goods, services or technology, for the most part between the U.S. and the treaty trader’s country of origin. A treaty investor (E-2 visa holder) is one who enters the country for the purpose of directing the operations of an enterprise into which the investor has invested or is investing a substantial amount of capital.

E-2 Visas versus EB-5 Visas

An advantage of the E-2 visa is that it allows for substantial investments that are less than the $500,000 and $1,000,000 thresholds required for an EB-5 visa. While E-1 and E-2 visas are nonimmigrant visas, an individual temporarily in the country who later invests more than those minimum amounts required for an EB-5 may be able to petition for lawful permanent residence. As with EB-5 visa holders, E-1 and E-2 applicants may also bring their spouses and unmarried children under 21 with them through derivative visas.

Get Help for Your Immigrant Investor Needs From an Experienced San Antonio Immigration Lawyer

For professional advice and assistance throughout the process of becoming a temporary or permanent resident for the purpose of investment in a U.S. business, or for the purposes of international trade, contact The Lozano Law Firm in San Antonio.

Share This Page:

© 2014 - 2018 The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC. All rights reserved.
Custom WebShop™ law firm website design by

Contact Form Tab