E-2 Investor Visa

Investor Visas

If you live outside of the United States but have business goals within the country, you may be eligible to apply for an Investor Visa. At Lozano Law Firm, we help clients by providing guidance and solutions regarding business immigration. We have offices in three Texas cities: San Antonio, San Angelo, and Eagle Pass.

Several types of Investor Visas are available for eligible treaty traders and treaty investors.

Treaty Traders & Treaty Investors Defined

Investor Visas allow foreign nationals from countries that have treaties of commerce and navigation with the U.S. to visit or immigrate here to trade goods and invest in U.S. companies. The type of visa you apply for to enter the U.S. depends on what kind of business and residence goals you have.

Treaty traders and investors with Visas can:

  • Vote and fully participate in Government, including running for federal, state, and local offices
  • Apply for jobs that are only open to U.S. citizens
  • Travel with the benefits and security of a U.S. passport
  • Bring over family members into the U.S. more quickly than a lawful permanent resident (LPR) can
  • Most likely have children, even when born abroad, who will be U.S. citizens under the Child Citizenship Act or through derivative citizenship

Nonimmigrant Investor Visas

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants E-1 and E-2 Visas to nonimmigrant applicants who wish to visit the country to accomplish business goals. These Visas allow temporary residence.

Immigrant Investor Visas

A foreign national receives an EB-5 Visa as an immigrant investor to invest in a U.S. company and live in the U.S.A. permanently.

E-1 Visa For Treaty Traders

E-1 Investor Visas allow foreign nationals to visit the U.S. to conduct international trade of money, goods and services, and technology. To qualify as a treaty trader and receive an E-1 Visa, you must satisfy the following conditions:

  •   Substantial trade: Significant trade must exist between the U.S. and your country of origin. A “substantial” trade includes many ongoing transactions.
  •   Principal trade: Immigration law considers trade “principal trade” when the U.S. accounts for 50% or more of your home country’s international trade.

E-1 Visa holders visit the U.S. temporarily but may pursue permanent residence through other programs.

E-2 Visa For Treaty Investors

Foreign nationals who invest in, purchase, or start a U.S. business enter the U.S. using E-2 Visas. The E-2 Visa also allows the employees of these companies to visit the U.S. These Visas last up to two years but can be renewed for an additional two years for an unlimited number of times.

If you wish to visit the U.S. with an E-2 Visa, you must meet these qualifications:

  •   Citizenship: You must be a citizen of your country of origin.
  •   Substantial investment: Your investment into the U.S. business must be “substantial.” Immigration law outlines no minimum investment amount, only that it must not be marginal.
  •   Ownership: You must own at least 50% of the business or have provable control over company operations in a managerial role.
  •   Risk: You must prove that your investment includes risk. If the businesses failed, you would lose much or all of your investment.

Like E-1, E-2 Visa holders may remain in the U.S. temporarily but may apply for permanent residence through other programs.

Access Lozano Law Firm’s Immigration Services.

EB-5 Investor Visa

EB-5 Investor Visas allow foreign nationals to live in the U.S. to invest in, purchase, or create U.S. businesses that protect or create job opportunities. To qualify for an EB-5 Green Card, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Economic benefit: You must demonstrate the use that your investment brings to the U.S. economy.
  • Job Creation: Your investment must create at least 10 new full-time jobs in the U.S.
  • Minimum Investment: The investment must be at least $1.8 million or at least $900,000 for a business located within a Targeted Employment Area (TEA) designated by the U.S. government.

Frequently Asked Questions About Investor Visas

What Countries Have A Treaty With The United States?

All Investor Visas require the foreign national’s country of origin to have a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S. These countries include:

Visit this link for a complete list of treaty countries.

Can My Family Come With Me?

You can include your spouse and dependent children in your investor visa application to bring them with you to the U.S. If your spouse wants to work while in the U.S., they can also apply for work authorization. Foreign nationals bringing their spouses must provide USCIS with marriage certificates.

Can I Get A Green Card If I Already Have An E-2 Visa?

If you already have an E-2 Visa but want to live in the U.S. permanently, you can adjust your status via the EB-5 or EB1(c) programs. You’ll need to talk to an immigration lawyer to learn more about the steps you must take for an adjustment of status.

Trust A Lozano Law Firm Lawyer In Texas For Immigration Assistance

Do you need assistance with your Investor Visa application or current Visa? Before you search “immigration lawyer near me,” allow our team at The Lozano Law Firm in San Antonio, TX, to help. As a Board-Certified Specialist in Immigration Law, attorney Alfredo Lozano has the expertise and experience to find the immigration solution you need.

Contact us at The Lozano Law Firm today by filling out our online contact form or calling (210) 899-2290.

Real Clients, Real Reviews

138 reviews on
Maria Perez
Maria Perez
Muy buena atención de parte de Zayda . La atención y la prioridad sobre mi caso es muy buena recomiendo .Ya que por mi parte me ayudaron mucho hasta lograr el objetivo.
candy ledezma
candy ledezma
Me gustó mucho el trato que nos dió (Zayda)siempre atenta ,aclaró nuestras dudas y muy amable,trabajando hasta horas fuera de su horario solo para ayudar en nuestro caso,100% recomendada hace muy bien su trabajo.! Se los recomiendo todas las personas que trabajan en Lozano Law Firm son muy ambles
Pablo Veliz
Pablo Veliz
Great lawfirm. Mr. Lozano has assembled a solid team. Zayda was communicative and very detailed in her process. Thank you!
Juan Ramirez
Juan Ramirez
Hola mi nombre es Juan mi prometida y yo quedamos muy sastifechos por el buen trabajo que isieron con nosotros,personas muy capacitadas sin duda alguna,gracias ZAYDA HERNANDEZ y todo el personal que componen este fufete de abogados.
Adamaris Coss
Adamaris Coss
Muy buena atención están al pendiente de que tengas en orden tu papelería te ayudan mucho y explican cosa por cosa dudas, preguntas, etc. Todo lo responden de buena manera gracias por su atención muy recomendable.
Oscar Gutierrez
Oscar Gutierrez
This company helped me a lot, more specifically Zayda. I am very thankful with her because she always listened to me ando was very easy to contact. Very happy with her work.
primo perez
primo perez
Zayda gracias por tu amabilidad y tu paciencia
Liliana Lopez
Liliana Lopez
Buen abogado. Debido a nuevo personal que trabaja activamente en el seguimiento de los casos y los cambios recientes en USIS en 2 meses obtuve mi permiso de trabajo. Muy agradecida con Dios y con el equipo del despacho. Zaida bendiciones. We continue in touch. !!!

Download Your Free E-2 Book Guide Today!

Navigating The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa - A Guide For Foreign Investors & Entrepreneurs
Scroll to Top