VAWA Petitions

VAWA Petitions

San Antonio Immigration Attorney Helping Women To Safety Through VAWA Petitions

Domestic violence is a very real problem that directly affects one in four women during their lifetime, with over one million physical assaults on women by their intimate partner occurring every year in the U.S. alone. Women who are abused often feel trapped in their situation and are scared to speak out or find help. This situation is even worse for immigrant women, who due to language barriers, social isolation, lack of resources, and worry over immigration status, may be even more reluctant to try to get help and break out of an abusive relationship.

But help is available. The immigration attorneys at The Lozano Law Firm in San Antonio and San Angelo help immigrant women find safety and freedom from abuse with the help of U.S. immigration policy and the protections afforded by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

VAWA petition VAWA attorney San Antonio San Angelo

Free Yourself From An Abusive Relationship Without Harming Your Immigration Status

VAWA is a federal law first passed by Congress in 1994. It was updated in 2000 by the Battered Immigrant Women’s Protection Act and reauthorized in 2005 and again in 2013. VAWA provides a route for noncitizens who have been victims of battery or extreme cruelty by a spouse or parent to obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States without having to rely on their citizen or resident spouse or parent to petition for them through the usual alien relative process. Instead, under VAWA the abused spouse may “self-petition” for residency without the knowledge of the abusive spouse or parent.

The Lozano Law Firm can help you prepare and file your petition for lawful permanent residence and obtain a Green Card under VAWA. Even if you don’t qualify for residence under VAWA, we may still be able to help you obtain legal status as a victim of criminal domestic abuse with a U Visa.

Who Is Eligible For A VAWA Green Card?

VAWA allows those who are spouses, immediate relatives, or dependents of U.S. citizens or lawful residents to petition the U.S. for their own Green Card. However, under some complicated scenarios, those who are not the direct recipient of the violence may also apply under VAWA. Eligibility includes:

The act may specifically name women, but men and children may still apply for a Green Card under VAWA given that certain conditions are met. For instance, if one man is being abused by his husband (who is a U.S. citizen or legal resident) the other man may apply under VAWA. In addition, if a wife is abusing her children, the husband may apply under VAWA to protect the children.

What Are The Criteria For Eligibility?

In addition to being of a protected class of either those who are being abused by legal residents or those who have children who are being abused, there are other criteria for eligibility. These include

Good Faith Marriage Requirement

You must show that you entered into a marriage with the abuser in good faith. In other words, USCIS will investigate your marriage to ensure that you did not enter the marriage solely for the purpose of bypassing citizenship or legal resident status requirements.

Evidence Of Abuse

You will need to provide some evidence that you are the victim of battery or cruelty. This can include witness testimony and medical reports. Your own testimony will be considered evidence as well.

Residency Requirement

You will need to prove that either you or your child (if they were the recipient of abuse) actually lived with the individual who was abusive.
VAWA petition VAWA attorney San Antonio San Angelo Texas 1

Your Own Conduct Is Important

Lastly, your own conduct can impact your eligibility under VAWA. If you have any arrests over the past three years, the courts will consider that when examining your case.

What exactly constitutes good moral character? Legally, “good moral character” equates to an average standard or moral character and a person’s obligations under the law. While it’s easy to identify what good moral character is, it’s even easier to say what it isn’t. In other words, certain offenses can hinder your immigration status.

What Offenses Can Hinder Your Immigration Status?

In addition to violent offenses, these include “crimes of moral turpitude” also known as crimes related to vices. These include drug crimes, prostitution, gambling-related offenses, or perjury. Crimes of moral turpitude also include any vile or depraved act, such as public urination or flashing. These crimes, regardless of their legal severity, can make it more difficult for you to be granted a Visa. In addition, any serious criminal offenses will also hurt your chances.

If there is evidence of these crimes in your past, you and your attorney will need to show that you:

Understanding The Application Process

The VAWA immigration attorneys at the Lozano Law Firm can help you file the petition and get the evidence you need to prove your case to the court. What can you expect? Well, there’s a process involved.

First, you will receive a notice about two weeks after you have filed the petition. The court will then determine whether or not your application appears to be complete. The court has not approved your petition, but it’s saying that it appears that you meet all the basic requirements. They may also require that you submit more evidence. After your application is approved, you can begin the process of applying for a Green Card.

Applying For A U Visa

As an alternative, you may consider applying for a U Visa. Unlike VAWA petitions, you do not have a qualifying U.S. citizen or legal resident to apply. There are, however, restrictions on the number of U Visas that are granted each year.

For instance, if the individual who is abusing you is not an authorized U.S. citizen, then you may be required to apply for a U Visa rather than VAWA. Lastly, U Visas require that you aid law enforcement during the process of prosecuting a crime. A law enforcement officer must certify your helpfulness.

An Experienced VAWA Attorney Can Help

Navigating the U.S. justice system can be daunting, particularly for those who have grown up elsewhere. You will need an attorney to help you:

The attorneys at the Lozano Law Firm have considerable experience filing VAWA petitions. We help those who have been the victims of abuse become independent of those who abuse them.

Seek Immediate Help From an Experienced Immigration Attorney in San Antonio

If you have been victimized by domestic violence or abuse and don’t know where to turn, get yourself to a safe location and call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233. They can connect you with resources and help you find a shelter in your area. If you are worried about how this might affect your immigration status, contact The Lozano Law Firm in San Antonio or San Angelo for advice and assistance from a skilled and compassionate Texas immigration lawyer.

Our Immigration Lawyers in the News

family immigration attorney in san antonio tx lozano law firm

How to Obtain Residency If In The U.S. Illegally

Enter your email below. We’ll send you a booklet with more info.

    We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

    Real Clients, Real Reviews

    138 reviews on
    Maria Perez
    Maria Perez
    Muy buena atención de parte de Zayda . La atención y la prioridad sobre mi caso es muy buena recomiendo .Ya que por mi parte me ayudaron mucho hasta lograr el objetivo.
    candy ledezma
    candy ledezma
    Me gustó mucho el trato que nos dió (Zayda)siempre atenta ,aclaró nuestras dudas y muy amable,trabajando hasta horas fuera de su horario solo para ayudar en nuestro caso,100% recomendada hace muy bien su trabajo.! Se los recomiendo todas las personas que trabajan en Lozano Law Firm son muy ambles
    Pablo Veliz
    Pablo Veliz
    Great lawfirm. Mr. Lozano has assembled a solid team. Zayda was communicative and very detailed in her process. Thank you!
    Juan Ramirez
    Juan Ramirez
    Hola mi nombre es Juan mi prometida y yo quedamos muy sastifechos por el buen trabajo que isieron con nosotros,personas muy capacitadas sin duda alguna,gracias ZAYDA HERNANDEZ y todo el personal que componen este fufete de abogados.
    Adamaris Coss
    Adamaris Coss
    Muy buena atención están al pendiente de que tengas en orden tu papelería te ayudan mucho y explican cosa por cosa dudas, preguntas, etc. Todo lo responden de buena manera gracias por su atención muy recomendable.
    Oscar Gutierrez
    Oscar Gutierrez
    This company helped me a lot, more specifically Zayda. I am very thankful with her because she always listened to me ando was very easy to contact. Very happy with her work.
    primo perez
    primo perez
    Zayda gracias por tu amabilidad y tu paciencia
    Liliana Lopez
    Liliana Lopez
    Buen abogado. Debido a nuevo personal que trabaja activamente en el seguimiento de los casos y los cambios recientes en USIS en 2 meses obtuve mi permiso de trabajo. Muy agradecida con Dios y con el equipo del despacho. Zaida bendiciones. We continue in touch. !!!

    Contact Our Immigration Lawyer

    Contact Us Today For a Case Consultation

      Language Preference

      We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

      We answer your Immigration questions on Facebook Live.

      Have a question you want answered by the Lozano team? Join our next discussion.
      EVERY WEDNESDAY: Typically around 10am-12pm
      Click Here and follow us on facebook

      What People Say

      "I am very grateful because my wife is here now. I'm very grateful for the staff at Lozano Law Firm."

      Michael DeVilbiss

      Spanning 30 Countries & Counting

      Scroll to Top