San Antonio Immigration Lawyer for Family-Based Immigration Visas

The family immigration lawyers at The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC in San Antonio help individuals and families in San Antonio, San Angelo, Eagle Pass and Laredo find the right family-based visa to bring families together and put them on the path to citizenship. As a certified immigration lawyer, firm founder and principal attorney Alfredo Lozano has the knowledge, skills, and determination to make sure your visa application is properly prepared and timely filed. Perhaps no aspect of immigration of law is more satisfying than helping to establish or reunite families, and The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC is with you every step of they with expert advice and assistance.

family immigration lawyer, San Antonio, San Angelo, Eagle Pass Texas

Delivering Comprehensive Immigration Services to Texas Families

As a first generation immigrant, Alfredo Lozano understands the challenges that you and your family face. For this reason, he’s dedicated his legal practice to serving immigrants and helping them achieve their dreams of legal permanent residency and family reunification.

Our comprehensive immigration law practice covers all aspects of family-based immigration matters, including the following:

In addition, we help noncitizens who have been the victim of domestic violence to obtain lawful permanent residence under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) or to obtain legal status through a U-visa. With our assistance, battered women can “self-petition” without the knowledge of the abusive spouse and find a safe home in the U.S.

Our family immigration lawyers also look out for the interests of minor children who “age out” before their application is processed by invoking the complex procedures of the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) where appropriate. For DREAMers, we have dedicated an entire website — — to providing advice and representation through the process for deferred action.

Grow, Expand or Reunite Your Family With Relative Visas

There are many different ways to obtain lawful permanent residency through a family-based immigrant visa. An individual in the U.S. can bring over a spouse and unmarried children by filing a Petition for Alien Relative, although the length of the process is typically longer when the sponsoring family member is a lawful permanent resident as opposed to a U.S. citizen.

We also help U.S. citizens bring over their parents, adult children, and siblings and help the new arrivals obtain their green card through adjustment of status or consular processing.

We Can Help You Bring Your Immediate Relatives to the United States

Your immigration status will help determine who you can sponsor for a green card and how quickly they will get it.

  • U.S. citizen: can bring the widest variety of family members into the United States. However, immediate family members will get their visas the most quickly. You can request an immediate family member visa for your spouse, unmarried children under the age of 21, orphans you are adopting, and your parents (if you are over the age of 21). The U.S. government does not limit the number of immediate family member visas it gives to citizens’ close relatives.
  • Legal permanent resident: you can request a visa for your spouse or unmarried children. However, the government limits the number of family members green card holders can bring into the U.S. each year.
  • Refugees and asylees: you can request a visa for your spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21. However, you must file on their behalf within two years of getting your refugee or asylee status.

If you’re not sure whether your loved ones qualify for a family-based visa, contact The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC for a no-risk, confidential consultation. An experienced family immigration lawyer will learn about your situation and then help you understand your legal options. We can also help you file all of the necessary paperwork and guide you through the complicated process of family reunification.

family immigration lawyer, San Antonio, San Angelo, Eagle Pass Texas

I’m a U.S. Citizen. Can I Request a Visa for My Siblings, Adult Children, and Other Family Members?

U.S. Citizens can ask the government for family-based visas for many of their family members. However, unless the individual is an immediate family member, they might have to wait years before it is approved. The United States strictly limits the number of family-based visas it distributes each year. Annually, it offers the following:

  • 23,400 visas for the unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens (your unmarried child’s minor children are also included in this group)
  • 23,400 visas for your married children, their spouses, and their children
  • 65,000 visas for your siblings, their spouses, and their minor children

Due to intense demand, the annual number of petitions typically exceeds the number of available visas. When this happens, the government issues visas to eligible family members in chronological order. Your petition filing date becomes your “priority date,” which will determine when your loved ones will get their visas. To determine when your loved ones will get their visas, you can refer to the State Department’s visa bulletin or contact an experienced family immigration lawyer. To request a consultation with a skilled family immigration lawyer, simply contact The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC.

I Have a Green Card. When Will My Immediate Family Members Get a Visa?

Each year, about 77% of the U.S. government’s family-based visas go to green card holders’ spouses and unmarried children. However, no more than 114,200 people can get these visas each year. Again, demand almost always outweighs the supply of available visas. It might take years to get a response.

However, you shouldn’t wait to apply for your family members. Your petition filing date becomes your relatives’ priority date, which will determine exactly when their visas will become available. The sooner you file, the sooner they’ll get their legal immigration status. For more information about family-based visas for green card holders, call an experienced family immigration lawyer at The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC.

Can I Bring My Fiancé to the United States?

Fiancé visas are only available to U.S. citizens. If your intended spouse is a foreign national, you can apply for a K-1 visa (the fiance visa) if you intend to marry and live in the United States. Once your fiancé arrives, you must marry within 90 days — otherwise, they will lose their legal immigration status. You also must prove that you are both legally permitted to marry and that you have physically seen each other in the past two years.

Once you get married, your new spouse can convert their K-1 visa into a green card, giving them permanent legal residency within the United States. Eventually, they can become U.S. citizens, if that is their wish.

While the process might sound relatively simple, it can quickly become complicated. If you and your fiancé are ready to start your lives together in the United States, it’s in your best interest to consult with a family immigration lawyer before you start the visa process. An attorney can help ensure that your documentation is submitted properly, as well as help you avoid unnecessary delays.

Is the Government Going to Stop Family-Based Immigration?

Recently, certain government officials have voiced “concerns” about family-based immigration or “chain migration.” However, the reality is that most American families relied on family-based visas to get here. As of today, there haven’t been any changes made to the United States’ family immigration policies — it’s just been chatter.

Immigration laws change quickly, especially in the current political climate. For the most up-to-date information about U.S. visa policies, contact a family immigration lawyer. At The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC, we carefully monitor every development in U.S. immigration law and we also do our best to keep our clients informed and empowered. However, if you have concerns, never hesitate to call us.

Help for Your Family-Based Immigration Matter from a Certified Family Immigration Lawyer

Many aspects of family-based immigration law are incredibly complex and complicated, and wait times for certain family members can also be heartbreaking. Trust your family immigration matter to a Board-Certified Texas immigration lawyer with years of experience bringing families together through the immigration process. In San Antonio, San Angelo, Eagle Pass, and Laredo, contact The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC for assistance.