How Does K-1 Fiancé Visa Work In The United States?

Request A Consultation

The K-1 Fiancé Visa brings hope for love across borders. It bridges the gap for couples separated by geographical distances, providing a pathway to unite hearts across continents. Amidst the excitement of planning a future together in the United States, navigating the complexities of this Visa process can feel overwhelming. It entails dealing with a maze of paperwork, regulations, and unexpected challenges.

Discover invaluable insights into the journey of getting a K-1 Visa. Learn the eligibility requirements, navigate the process, and bring your loved one to the United States.

Find Out About The K-1 Fiancé Visa And Whether You Can Apply To Obtain It And Legally Enter The U.S.

What Is The K-1 Fiancé Visa?

The K-1 Fiancé Visa is a bridge for couples separated by international borders. It allows a U.S. citizen to reunite with their foreign soon-to-be spouse. This Visa facilitates immigration for those planning to marry in the United States within 90 days of the fiancé’s arrival. The timeframe emphasizes the couple’s commitment to building a life together within the legal framework of U.S. immigration.

Upon entering the country on a K-1 Visa, the fiancé begins building a life with their partner. This period is not just a legal requirement but also a time of adjustment and anticipation. It blends bureaucratic formalities with emotional intensity as the couple plans their wedding and integrates into each other’s lives.

Post-marriage, the foreign spouse can pursue lawful permanent residence (LPR) status in the United States. Obtaining a Green Card signifies a significant milestone. It solidifies the couple’s commitment and provides a foundation for their life together in the United States. However, before reaching this long-term goal, you must know the requirements for this type of Visa.

What Are The Eligibility Requirements?

The Fiancé Visa program ensures that individuals are not marrying solely for immigration purposes. It requires evidence of a genuine romantic relationship. Here are the eligibility requirements.

U.S. Citizenship

Only U.S. citizens can sponsor a fiancé for a K-1 Visa. This means LPRs or Green Card holders cannot petition for their fiancé through this category. It ensures that the sponsoring party has full legal standing and rights within the United States.

Marriage Eligibility

Before getting married, the petitioner and beneficiary must ensure they are free to marry. This means they shouldn’t already be married or have other legal reasons to stop them from tying the knot. 

Evidence Of Genuine Relationship

Applicants must submit compelling evidence that substantiates the authenticity and sincerity of their relationship. This evidence convinces immigration authorities that the relationship is bona fide and not only for immigration purposes.

To illustrate your relationship, you can include photos of activities you enjoyed together, such as trips or events. Additionally, presenting emails or letters exchanged between you can further strengthen your case. Letters from friends and family affirming your relationship can also be beneficial. You can also provide documents showing shared financial responsibilities, like joint bills, financial accounts, or mutual investments, to demonstrate your commitment to each other.

In-Person Meeting

Couples must meet in person at least once within two years before applying for the K-1 Visa. This confirms the relationship and helps build a genuine connection, strengthening their application. This face-to-face meeting verifies the legitimacy of the relationship. It ensures that the couple has had sufficient opportunity to interact in person, fostering a genuine bond.

Intent To Marry Within 90 Days

The petitioner and the beneficiary must declare their intention to marry each other. This should be within 90 days of the beneficiary’s arrival in the United States. It emphasizes that its primary purpose is to facilitate marriage and subsequent adjustment of status for the beneficiary. This stresses the need for genuine intent and commitment to marrying within the set timeframe.

Understanding and fulfilling these eligibility requirements is essential for successfully navigating the K-1 Visa process. It involves meticulous preparation, thorough documentation, and a genuine commitment to building a life together in the United States. While it is essential to know the requirements, it’s equally vital to learn the process. 

How To Apply For A K-1 Visa?

The process begins with submitting Form I-129F, or Petition for Alien Fiancé, to USCIS. This form is a petition to bring your fiancé to the United States for marriage. It demonstrates the authenticity of the relationship and the intention to marry within the country. Supporting documents such as birth certificates, passport copies, and the foreign fiancé’s passport are also required.

Upon submission of Form I-129F and required documents, USCIS typically issues a receipt notice within 30 days. Once approved, the agency sends an approval notice, transitioning the case to the U.S. Department of State.

The foreign fiancé receives notification from the U.S. Embassy or consulate for the Visa interview. They should complete Form DS-160, or Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and gather the required documents immediately after receiving notification. This may include passport-style photos, birth certificates, police clearances, and a sealed medical examination form.

During the Visa interview at the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate, the officer evaluates the case and decides. Upon approval, the beneficiary can travel to the United States to marry their future spouse. Following marriage, the final step is applying for a marriage-based Green Card.

How To Get A Green Card For Your Future Spouse?

Bringing your partner to the United States is a significant step in your journey toward building a life together. Dealing with the immigration process can be complex but rewarding as you embark on this new chapter of your relationship. Here are significant aspects of the process to achieve that.

File Form I-485

To apply for a Green Card in the United States, your spouse must file Form I-485 with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form, also known as Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, requires detailed personal information and documentation.

Biometric Appointment

It is where the USCIS collects fingerprints, photographs, and other biometric information from your spouse. This appointment is part of the background check process to ensure their identity and eligibility for immigration benefits.


An interview is a crucial step in the immigration process. It is where a USCIS officer interviews you and your spouse. The purpose is to assess the authenticity of the relationship and verify the information provided in the application. It also determines eligibility for a Green Card based on marriage.

Wait For The Decision

After the interview, you must wait for the USCIS to decide on the application. This period can vary in length, typically taking several months. During this period, USCIS carefully examines the evidence presented by the couple. It includes documents verifying your relationship and the genuineness of their marriage. This decision could result in approval, denial, or a request for additional evidence.

Conditional Permanent Residence

Upon approval of the application, the foreign spouse is granted conditional permanent residence status, valid for two years. This status indicates that your spouse’s residency hinges on the authenticity of their marriage to you as their sponsoring spouse. 

You must continue living together and provide evidence of your shared life during this time. Evidence includes joint financial accounts, shared property, photos, and affidavits affirming the relationship’s authenticity.

Obtain A Green Card

To remove the conditions on permanent residence, both of you must file a joint petition to remove conditions (Form I-751). It is officially known as the Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. Upon approval, your foreign spouse will receive a Green Card, providing them with lawful permanent resident status in the United States.

Bringing your future spouse to the United States is a pivotal moment that demands meticulous planning and attention to detail. By understanding the process, you can navigate immigration confidently. Given the intricacies of a K-1 Visa and adjustment of status, seeking assistance from a trusted firm will help you navigate it seamlessly.

Let The Lozano Law Firm Assist You

Explore The K-1 Fiancé Visa: Determine Eligibility And Application Process For Legal Entry Into The U.S.

The Lozano Law Firm assists in navigating the K-1 Visa, allowing you to proceed smoothly. Its team of experienced immigration lawyers in Texas offers guidance and support throughout every step of the process. They work hard to ensure a smooth and successful application for you and your fiancé.

Immigration attorneys deeply understand the legal intricacies of obtaining a K-1 Fiancé Visa. They offer personalized attention and customized solutions to address your needs. The team is committed to alleviating your stress and achieving your immigration goals. This allows you to focus on building a future with your loved one.


The K-1 Visa allows U.S. citizens to bring their foreign fiancés to the country for marriage. Essential requirements include proving the authenticity of the relationship, meeting in person, and intending to marry. When you satisfy these criteria, you can submit Form I-129F, await USCIS approval, attend an embassy interview, and finally get married.

Following marriage, USCIS may grant you conditional permanent residence, requiring evidence of a shared life together. After two years of marital life, your spouse can apply to remove conditions and obtain lawful permanent residency. With these complexities, immigration lawyers provide essential guidance, ensuring you and your partner can successfully build your lives together in the United States.

About Alfredo Lozano

alfredo lozano of lozano law firm inAlfredo Lozano is the founder and principal attorney at Lozano Law Firm, an immigration law firm serving the communities of San Antonio, Eagle Pass, Laredo and San Angelo in business and family-based immigration law. Mr. Lozano is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the San Antonio Bar Association, and the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Scroll to Top